Saturday, July 31, 2010

New Foods, by Anjali

I am trying lots of new foods everyday. I am playing a lot with the food, but more and more I can gum and suck pieces off. I spit a bunch out, but I actually swallow some as well. It's messy fun! I tried a boiled fingerling potato the other night. My parents had some vinegary dressing on theirs, but they wiped it off for me so I could explore the potato plain and simple. It was odd, and I have to say I didn't like it so much. I make distressed noises when I don't like something. I don't think it was the flavor--more the texture. I didn't know what to make of that mushiness. Maybe they overcooked it.

I also tried a piece of chicken. That was fun and sort of tasty. My parents got it at their neighborhood farmer's market where they get most of their produce too. I go there with them a lot--every Saturday.

Here I am eating watermelon for the first time. Wow! Flavor galore. But super mushy. Papa sat me on the floor and gave me a sweet bib/shirt and put me on a cloth, as he predicted this would be messy. He said the other approach might be to let me eat in my birthday suit so I wouldn't mess up my clothes. He heard my friend Uma does this a lot.


Some of my favorites are raw string beans, red pepper and cucumber. Or maybe those are my parents' favorites to give me because they're so easy... No preparation! Cucumber is one of my favorites for sure. I am getting good at actually eating them. I love a cool cucumber right out of the fridge. Feels good for a teether. And it's tasty.

I also tried apple for the first time the other day (Nota Bene from mama - not the first time). Papa gave me two slices with the skin. I kept dropping them. For some reason they were hard to handle. Maybe it was just the shape of papa's cut. But he let me hold and try the rest of the apple. He had eaten a bunch of it already and it was closer to the core, so it was easier for me to hold.

This afternoon Mama and Papa gave me some noodles. They call it 'spaghetti'. These two noodles gave me so much pleasure. I didn't actually eat any of them, but I definitely got a feel.


5 comments:

Nancy said...

I dig the blue cover-all bib. Where did you find it?

TPS-SheilaP said...

1. she looks like such a big girl in those food photos! she really is getting older....
2. uma wasn't thrilled about potato either. i heard from jenn that it is the #3 food for babyes 9-11 mths and #1 for over a 1! that means a lot of blah starch for baby....
3. it is hard to remember that eating is more than getting in the mouth. we don't remember that ourselves. for instance, our nose is a big part of taste, but we barely smell our food when we scarf it down. babies joyously note all those things we take for granted. i'm not saying she's "eating" as you know, but it's just something i've been thinking about. along those lines, is juicing eating? when people are juice fasting i guess they're not eating? anyway, i'm getting random...

love you all,
sheila

JeremyDyen said...

Nancy: Pretty sure the blue bib is from Ikea. Madhavi can confirm that. It is cute on her for sure. That was our test run.

Sheila:
1. Yes, she's getting bigger indeed! Madhavi had bought this swimsuit shirt for her and it's already too small. We didn't get to use it once! I really want to go to the beach with her, though I dread the car ride, especially the ride home.

2. Yeah. She doesn't need all that starch. I figure with baby lead eating that the baby decides what their favorite foods are, and we just provide them with a wide menu selection.
3. Yes! Watching her eat and explore and learn is fascinating. It does make me think about all of the things we take for granted when eating or doing otherwise--all of the fine motor skills with mouth and tongue, the taste, the smells, the texture. And it's all so new to Anjali. I think about that with so many things. Every time she sees, hears, smells, tastes or touches something new or less familiar it must be so stimulating and interesting. So if we are attentive parents we get to experience these things anew via our children.
Yes, is juicing eating?
Maybe not juicing b/c no fiber...But smoothies. All hail the vita-mix!

TPS-SheilaP said...

we should go to the beach together! meet up somewhere. if not the beach i'd love to get her in some fresh water....

Madhavi said...

Hi Nancy, yup, the long sleeved bibs are from IKEA. They come 2 in a pack and are very awesome. I also use 2 Bumkins bibs without sleeves because they can come on and go off pretty fast without hassle.